Nelson Lyon from Mount Scott Motorcycle Club stopped by Dehen headquarters recently and dropped a bomb on us...the good kind. Accompanying Nelson, tucked neatly under his arm, you could tell with just a quick glance, was something very unique. What we came to find out was that he had an original Dehen Motorcycle Sweater from - most likely - the early 1940's. Still in great condition with the added character that comes from 70+ years of wear, it features a "Dehen Special" label one of Dehen's earliest designs, and a good indicator to help determine era. It also features MSMC's devil's head logo in chenille, "MOUNT SCOTT MOTORCYCLE CLUB" hand stitched felt lettering, an emergency first aid patch, and the name "HARV" stitched on the upper left sleeve. Also, notably missing from the sweater is an AMA (American Motorcyclist Association) patch on the right bicep. This sweater will be on display at The One Moto Show Feb. 12 - 14, located at 831 SE Salmon Street, Portland, OR 97214. Below, in their words, is a brief history on the Mount Scott Motorcycle Club.
"In 1941, Roy and Frank Clay started the Mt. Scott Motorcycle Club. Mt. Scott was seen from Roy's service station on 82nd ave. Roy and his brother, Frank, grabbed some tire chains and headed up the mountain on their bikes. Back then there were a variety of outstanding trails. Over the years other riders joined in on the fun and the Mt. Scott Motorcycle Club was born.
There were two big runs back then, the Devils Head Time Keepers Enduro and the TeePee Run held on the Indian Reservation near Pine Grove, Oregon, until the 70's. We had events and play days in Colton for years.
Times changed, but the club maintained a relationship with the Mt. Hood National Forest over the past 50 years. In 1961 we met with the Oregon Department of Forestry in the Tillamook Burn. The club talked of creating trails for racing and to work as access roads to aide in fire fighting.
We are a family oriented, trail riding club. We have only one road event each year. We have 5 events a year int the Tillamook Burn, and the TeePee run annually at McCubins Gulch on Mt. Hood. We currently have 50 active members, and are always glad to have new members.
Welcome to the longest running Dirt Club in Oregon!"